Varicose veins are swollen and twisted veins that generally occur in the legs.
Varicose veins are a common condition that can be treated with minimally invasive procedures. Varicose veins are caused by the valves in the veins not working properly, which causes blood to pool and stretch the vein walls. This leads to swelling and bulging of the vein, which is what we call varicose veins.
Q. What are symptoms of varicose veins?
- color changes in the skin
- sores on the legs
- sensations in the legs such as heavy feelings, burning, and/or aching
Q. What are risk factors of varicose veins?
- overweight or obesity
- older age
- being female
- being inactive
- leg injury
- taking oral contraceptive pills or hormone replacement
Q. How to prevent varicose veins?
- keeping a healthy weight
- exercising regularly
- putting your feet up while sitting
- not crossing your legs while sitting
- not wearing tight clothing