Claudication is a condition in which the blood flow to the lower limbs is impaired.
Claudication is a symptom of peripheral artery disease. It is the pain that occurs when the muscles in the leg are not getting enough blood flow.
Q. What are the symptoms of claudication?
- pain and ache
- discomfort or fatigue in muscles every time those muscles are used
- pain in calves, thighs, buttocks, hips of feet
- pain in shoulders, biceps or forearms
- pain that gets better soon after resting
Q. What are the risk factors of claudication?
- family history of atherosclerosis, peripheral artery disease or claudication
- age 50 years or older
- chronic kidney disease
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
Q. How to prevent claudication?
- eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
- exercise regularly
- if you have diabetes, keep your blood sugar in good control
- maintain a healthy weight
- manage cholesterol and blood pressure
- quit smoking
Would you be needing an appointment for a Claudication check up?
Log in or register into your portal and SMS text one of our medical assistant to get you scheduled with one of our providers.